Time and Money:
The 4-Roll Challenge
shredded cheddar cheese on a tortilla. Place it on a plate on top of one paper
towel, with another paper towel on top. Microwave for 30 seconds on high. Take
out of the oven, and, making sure it's not too hot, roll it up into an easy
"taquito." Try a little mango juice to go with.
Go to a bank and get one roll of
one roll of nickels, one roll of
and one roll of quarters
Ruler | Postage meter or food scale
Scratch paper and pencil
- Measure the length of all four coin rolls with
the ruler. Are they the same, or different?
- Record the length of the four coin rolls by
making a chart that shows them from shortest to longest (or showing if
they are equal length).
- Weigh the coin rolls. Make another chart on the
scratch paper, and rank them in order, from heaviest to lightest.
- Guess how many coins are in each roll.
- Estimate how much money each roll is worth, if
you added up all the coins in that roll.
- Now go ahead and break open the rolls, one by
one. Count the coins. Figure out the monetary value. Chart the four
different amounts. Were you right or wrong?
- Discuss how money symbolizes value, and just
because two rolls of coins are the same length doesn't mean they symbolize
the same monetary value.